Everyone knows there’s nothing quite like a good, warm, sweet hot chocolate for when you most need a delicious, cosy treat. Especially if it comes with marshmallows! It’s also true that the coolest, quirkiest way to make it at home is by using a hot chocolate bomb. You could get these in the shops if you want, but why not have a go at making your own if you know how?
We can show you how to make hot chocolate bombs right here in this guide, so read through and take the next step towards delicious drinks prepared in your very own home!
First Things First, What is a Hot Chocolate Bomb?
For those who’ve never made or seen one before but are curious, a hot chocolate bomb is a sweet little ball of chocolate, hot chocolate mix, and other ingredients. You pop it into a mug or cup of your choice, pour hot milk over it, and watch as the bomb melts into a glorious chocolatey drink. Any ingredients you’ve put inside will then be released for a sweet, sensational look and taste.
Our Absolute Favourite Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipe
There are loads of recipes for hot chocolate bombs out there, so we’ve just picked our favourite and used that to help you get started. As you get better at making your own, you can start to ad-lib and mix in different bits or decorations you think will make it even more exciting and delicious.
Of course, before you begin making this recipe, there are a few things that you will need:
- A soft, previously unused paintbrush or pastry brush
- A chopping board
- A good quality bar of chocolate (this can be milk chocolate, white chocolate, or dark chocolate as you prefer)
- A knife
- A piping bag
- A sphere mould (preferably silicone)
- A bench scraper (if you’re using a hard mould that isn’t made of silicone, such as acrylic)
- Parchment paper
- A food thermometer
- Hot chocolate mix of your choice
Got all that? Good! Now it’s time to get started. You’ll need to chop up the chocolate into bits and then melt and temper it. If you don’t know how to do these steps, don’t worry – we’ve got guides on how you can melt and temper the chocolate before you go any further with the recipe.
- Once you’ve melted the chocolate, paint it into your silicone moulds (two coats should do it). If you’re using harder acrylic moulds, pour the chocolate in and swirl it around to coat it
- Tip any remaining melted chocolate that you don’t need out of the moulds by turning them upside down and shaking them a little on some parchment paper
- Temper the chocolate in the moulds, following the instructions we’ve linked for you above
- Once the chocolate has set, remove the half-spheres from the moulds (pop them out of the moulds if you’re using silicone ones, and use a bench scraper if the moulds are hard)
- Fill the moulds with one teaspoon or so of hot chocolate mix
- Seal the half-spheres together with more melted chocolate
- Use any leftover chocolate to cover the seams in the bombs, and decorate this covering with sprinkles
How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs with Marshmallows Inside
We totally get it if you want to make hot chocolate bombs with marshmallows already inside and ready to melt into a gooey mess in your drink. Fortunately, it’s super easy to make your hot chocolate bombs with marshmallows as well – just put the marshmallows in the moulds after you’ve added the hot chocolate mix. You can then continue the recipe by sealing up the bombs and finishing them off with sprinkles as you want.
Other Top Tips for Making Hot Chocolate Bombs
The things we’ve listed above are just basics for making hot chocolate bombs. But there are a lot of things you can do if you want to get creative or try out different ways to make these delightful drink-starters. We’ve listed a few of them below for you to think about:
- When the bombs are fully made and set, why not melt down another type of chocolate (like white chocolate if you used milk or dark, dark chocolate if you used white, etc.) and use it as a dip or drizzle? You can make your bombs look pretty, and it gives you another place to put some sprinkles!
- If you’re using white chocolate, you can dye it to make it a different colour entirely – you’ll need to use a powdered food colouring or one that’s oil-based, though; water-based colouring will make the chocolate seize, making it essentially unusable (unless you want to go through a whole process of getting it back to normal) and unsuitable for tempering
- While we’re still on the subject of making your hot cocoa bombs look pretty, why not go all-out and add in some edible glitter? This should go on the outside of your mould before you add the first layer of chocolate, but you can also add a pinch or two inside for a magical surprise when the bomb melts
- Got silicone moulds that come in tray form? Some find cutting the moulds up into individual mould squares makes it easier, as you get more control of the mould when you want to make a chocolate shell since adding the layer of chocolate is easier and less awkward
- You can stick the edges of your chocolate shells together with melted chocolate, or you can melt the edges themselves – either over a candle or match flame or by pressing them against a hot surface (such as the surface of a pan) for a few seconds
- You don’t have to limit yourself to only putting marshmallows and the hot chocolate mix inside your bombs! Why not try adding in some other sweets, other flavour powders (like orange or peppermint, perhaps – just not those two at the same time), or some crushed-up biscuits?
- Depending on when you are going to use the bombs, you probably don’t want to put any wet ingredients inside, like syrups or alcohol; these can cause mould to form, and nobody wants that! You don’t have to worry about this if you’re going to use the bombs right away, though
- Use food-safe gloves when you’re making the bombs to avoid fingerprints being left on them
- You don’t have to stick to just making round hot chocolate bombs; if you look online or in shops there will be plenty of different mould shapes!
Bearing some of these tips in mind, why not try making some pink or red heart-shaped hot chocolate bombs, drizzled with dark chocolate and sprinkles, for Valentine’s Day? Or maybe your bestie deserves to know how much of a star they are with some blue, silver, or white star-shaped hot chocolate bombs, covered in edible glitter for that extra sparkle?
Need Help Making Other Delicious Delights?
No problem at all! Learning more about how to make your own special treats and desserts is so much fun, and we want to help out as much as we can. So if you’re set on making some amazingly sweet bits and pieces for any reason, why not take a look at our other tutorials and see if anything we’ve got takes your fancy?
You’ve already learned how to melt and temper chocolate, but have you thought about learning how to make chocolate slabs and then breaking them up into bark? What about learning how to make chocolate curls and shavings for ice cream or cakes? You could even take it further and go straight to learning how to make a chocolate tree!
We’ve got all of these waiting for you to start exploring and learning from, so browse and see where you want to begin. We’re sure it will be delicious, no matter which one you decide to start with!
Don’t Want to Wait?
We don’t blame you if you don’t feel like doing all the making just at the moment! If you’re more interested in getting straight into a gorgeous, creamy cup of hot chocolate made from a hot chocolate bomb, then you’re in luck. We’ve got a fabulous selection of hot chocolate bombs for all occasions, including our Hot Choc Eye-Ball-Bombs for Halloween and our Hot Choc Christmas Pudding Bombs for Christmas!
All of our bombs come in packs of four, and depending on the type you might find them fluffed up to the brim with mini marshmallows or half-filled with marshmallows and then filled the rest of the way with a delicious spread like NutellaⓇ or BiscoffⓇ. All you have to do is get browsing and find the ones you want to try most! We guarantee they’re all delicious, and just right for a treat with friends or family – or even just a cosy night at home in front of the telly.
Order Awesome Treats Anywhere in the UK
Everything we’ve got on our website is easily ordered from your computer or phone; you start by picking out all the sweet and delicious pieces you want. Then, you add them to your basket. Arrange a date for delivery, complete the payment to place your order, and you’ll be done! This is where we step in and start getting creative, while you sit back, relax, and wait for the post.
Order everything you want through our service today and you’ll get to enjoy them all in no time, without having to worry about getting moulds or how much mess you’ll make in the kitchen. Or, you can do both if you want to see how your very own bombs compare to the ones we make ourselves – it’s entirely up to you!